Saturday, November 17, 2007

philadelphia pt.5: North Philly playgrounds





I dont see many children around north philly. I see them, yes, sometimes sitting on front steps of houses or two kids might be playing basketball... but they're not really out-and-about. Maybe it has something to do with the dangers of our city, the callousness of hearts, the ever-growing murder rate. These kids aren't living with the same carefree spirit as I did growing up. These desolate playgrounds are my tribute to them. They're everywhere around the city. Mostly covered in grafitti, or scattered with trash. This particular one had a quiet homeless man with a shopping cart collecting cans and bottles from the trash bins. Where are the children at play? Where is the laughter? Winter is approaching and I think it will be a cold one indeed.

No comments: